No matter if you like it or don’t like it we have evolved into a mobile society. In the United States we now have more mobile phones than people. As a matter of fact there are 1.3 mobile devices for every person in the country. So what do we do with all of these fun and cool toys? We text… and text…and text.
The fact is that as Americans we are addicted to text messaging. Over 95% of all text messages are opened and over 68% of smartphone users check their phone at least once an hour. Have you ever tried to call someone only to get their voice mail, but when you text you get a response right away? That is where the technology has taken us. Many don’t answer the phone often, but consider it rude not to respond or at least read a text message. This makes text message marketing a very powerful tool for your business. The cost is a mere fraction of direct mail while the return on investment staggering.
Think about your own habits. When you fire up your e-mail and see something from a business how often do you hit the delete button without ever opening it? Now, when was the last time that you did not read a text message on your phone? Your customers think exactly the same way that you do and for the most part have the same habits and reactions. Here are a few ways to use text marketing to help your business keep your current customers, broaden your market to get new customers or both.
- Appointment Reminders – When a customer misses an appointment that’s lost revenue for your business. Studies show that unobtrusive text message reminders dramatically cut down on no-shows.
- Mass Text Messages – Type a message once and send it to all of your customers.
- Mobile Coupons – Research shows that consumers love mobile coupons. Text messages are a fast, efficient way to offer mobile coupons to existing customers and new customers alike. A good mobile coupon will include some brief info about the discount, a redemption deadline (build urgency!), and a coupon code. If you want to track your campaign make sure to use a coupon code that you can enter into your point-of-sale system.
- Text-2-Join – Encourage people to text your Keyword to a Short Code to join your marketing list.
- Text-2-Win – Customers text your Keyword to a Short Code to win a contest. Incentivized campaigns are one of the fastest ways to build your marketing list. The prizes can be anything from iPad to some of your own product. The second of which keeps your costs down.
- Text-2-Vote – Run polls and voting efforts that customers can participate in by sending a text message. You can ask anything from what flavor or size of your product they like most to what kind of candy bar they like. It does not matter as long as you get the responses and the opt in for your text campaign.
Remember one of main reasons text messages are so popular is that they have to be short. You only have 160 characters to get your message across so be brief but informative. If you have a little more to say there are also new ways through audio and video texting to get your message out. I will go into more detail on those next time. If you have any questions about mobile marketing please visit www.moblicate.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. As GROW Nebraska members ourselves we always try to make time for our fellow members. Happy texting!
A program of Central Plains Foundation Inc., GROW Nebraska helps maximize the state’s entrepreneurial spirit and build the global reputation of Nebraska businesses by providing sustainable business environments through business-building marketing and education. To learn more about GROW Nebraska or Nebraska entrepreneurs and businesses, visit the GROW Web site at www.grownebraska.org.